Saturday, December 12, 2009
History of Lewis House
A Board of Management minute dated 17th November 1917 reads as follows: "The Board approved the action of the Executive Committee in gratefully accepting an offer of Rs.17,500 from the John Lewis Memorial Committee to build a J.T. Lewis Memorial Cottage at Ketti". On the 25th January 1923, Mr. Rothera presented the school with a photograph of Capt. Lewis to be placed in Lewis Cottage - this photograph is missing!
The above is the history behind the making of Lewis Cottage. This Cottage is for the senior-most boys in the school and houses 48 students of Stds. XI, XII and some boys from Std. X. They have solar heaters which provide them with hot and cold running water. They are also equipped with Aquaguard water for drinking, comfortable cots with foam mattresses, a steel cupboard each while the dayroom has been turned into a study room.
The boys are taken care of by a Warden and a Matron and a Ayah. The outside toilet which was woefully inadequate has been expanded from only eight cubicles to 22! They have their own box room too as well as a washing machine. The Head Boy and the Junior College Prefect have their own room with attached toilet and are expected to keep discipline in the cottage.